Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Late Woodcock

     Christmas morning my oldest wirehair pointed a woodcock at the edges of the trees beyond the field out behind our home.  She froze rigid so quickly it startled me, it certainly wasn’t expected, and our younger wirehair honored when she spotted her elder.  As I stepped past the dogs the woodcock twittered away through the trees.
     Yesterday morning, New Years Eve day, and in almost exactly the same spot, the scenario played itself out again, with the woodcock picking the same escape route through the forest.
     So far the fall has been mild, but cold weather is forecast for the coming week.  I have to wonder if that woodcock will be able to poke its bill into the ground when it is frozen.


2 comments:

  1. If you're still seeing them up your way it's no wonder I haven't seen a single one down here yet. C'mon cold weather...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were ten degrees this morning, I would think the woodcock might be moving along now.

    ReplyDelete